Wednesday 5 February 2014

An Event that has shaped my life and the person I have become.

My job as a teacher assistant in a tuition centre has given me a new experience, and has forced me to step out of my comfort zone.

Being a shy person since young, I was terrified at the idea of teaching in front of a small group of class. However, as an employee, we are often left with no choice. Nevertheless, with more practice, I realised I was better at speaking out. This job has trained me to convey my thoughts and be a more confident person.

On top of being a teacher assistant, I had to handle some of the administration duties such as fees collection, picking up of calls and handling enquiries. These are skills beyond what I have learnt in school. I had to pick up everything from the start and being a muddle head, I took quite a while to master them. There were mistakes made along the way. But without them, I would not be able to pick up the administration skills and handle the duties with ease now.

My first job has shaped me to become a more confident person and improved my interaction with people. Without this job, I would not be the person I am now.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jocelyn,

    I enjoyed reading about your experience of being a teaching assistant. I admire your ability to juggle so many tasks at your job. I think

    "I would not be able to pick up the administration skills" could be

    I would not have been able to pick up the administration skills".

    Sorry if I made any mistakes.

    Let's work hard to learn English in this class together.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jocelyn,

    I think you post is organized and concise. I do have to agree with you that that one needs to step out of his or her comfort zone. And sometimes, you might be surprised at your own ability to accomplish things that you initially thought that you would not be able to achieve it.

    Correct me if I am wrong, but I feel that the expression in the second sentence of the second paragraph that "However, as an employee, we are often left with no choice" looks weird. You can change it to "However, the nature of this job has left me with no choice but to do deal with my fear."

    I think you can also focus on how this job has shaped your life.

    Overall, this post is well written and I will see you in school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jocelyn!

    I can totally related myself to your experience! I took up teaching and administrative before I entered university as well!

    For the second paragraph, I feel that instead of "small group of class", perhaps you can change to "small class" or "small group of students". Also, "I realised I was better at speaking out" can also be changed to "I became better at speaking out".

    For the second sentence paragraph 3, I think it will good if you can change it to "These are skills that are beyond what I have learnt in school".

    In general, there is a good structure and it is easy to understand as well!

    Pardon me if I make any mistakes! Let us learn together!

    Ke Yun

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much, Jocelyn, for sharing your experience at the tuition centre. In this description you detail how you have changed as a result of your involvement as both a teacher and as an office admin person. I'm glad to know that your confidence has been enhanced by this experience. Do you plan to teach in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brad!
      I just want to experience how its is like being a teacher.
      I don't plan to teach in future because I think being a teacher can be very stressful at times.

      Delete